I recently updated the EV3 brick to Firmware version 1.09H and found that the Telnet function had been disabled. I found that LEGO has done this in order to reduce security risks, but has made a Developers version (V 1.09D) available for those of us that still need this function.The following is a summary of the steps needed to use the Developers firmware version:
- Downloading and uncompress the firmware
- In the menu, select “Tools >> Update Firmware”
- On the new window select “Show Details”
- Click on “Browse”
- Select the uncompressed firmware file “EV3 Firmware V1.09D.bin”
- Click on “Update Firmware”
- Wait until the firmware is installed
This should install the latest version of the Developers Firmware version that has Telnet enable. Notice that the new firmware requires using a username and password that is provided in the README file.
The new firmware now supports the popular Edimax EW-7811UN WI-FI dongle.